Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Productive Day...

I made more money today than I received bills for in the mail, so it was a good day. I had a decent breakfast courtesy of a new, potentially productive client, worked for several billable hours for another, and finished a report (also billable) for a third. I also cleaned and polished the kitchen counter, did the dishes, and repaired Angie's easel, so all in all, it was, as the title says, "A Productive Day."

I also received an invitation to be the speaker at the Annual Wyoming Monument Commemorative Association bash on the 4th of July. It's quite an honor, but I'm a bit ambivalent. It's the 200th anniversary of our fair town's founding, and I really know very little of our history, compared to some folks. Still, I suppose I could look ahead instead of back. I'm thinking on it - I have until Friday to let them know.

My DSL service went out at a bit after 1am, so I fired off a semi-irate email to my service provider, which I used to manage. It came back on at 2:42am, so that wasn't so bad, and now I am going to bed. Don't call too early. I've pasted the tirade below:

Gentlemen/Ladies,

It is now 2:19 EDT and my DSL has been down since shortly after 1am. I powered down the router, two computers and the WIFI thingie, and powered everything back up. Still no go. I called 1-800-epixNOW and all "systems are operating normally. Send us an email if you want to talk" (or words to that effect). I can't send you an email.

As far as I know, I received no notification of system maintenance for this evening.

I run a one-man consultancy business and I work very late at night (as you can see). Tonight, which is not unusual, I was finishing a report for a new and potentially lucrative client, hoping to have the report in his email when he arrived at work in the morning (when I shall be getting some well-deserved sleep). I like this lifestyle, and I can live with what I know to be critical system maintenance when I am forewarned. Unannounced outages are extremely frustrating. (Can you tell?)

Yes, I recognize (I was there, remember?) that unexpected outages occur, and I guess that all I'm asking for with this tirade is a little understanding, and perhaps an explanation, if one is available.

On the whole, I am rather pleased with my service, and look forward to your enhancements. Regrets, I am not into online gaming, though I wish you success.

Oops, there's that annoying Outlook pop-up announcing that it cannot send or receive my email, but I knew that. I'll just press send now, go to bed, and hope you can receive it when you wake up.

Loyal, as ever, and faithful to the memories, I remain,

Mike Burnside
burnside@epix.net

No comments: