Friday, March 31, 2006

Well-intentioned advice to a young blogger

Much to my delight, I received a nice comment on my blog from Evan, a young man from Illinois. Naturally, I looked at his blog (he's new to blogging as I am, and I felt compelled to leave im a comment as well, because I can see a bit of myself in him. I didn't tell him I was going to use my comment to him as my blog entry for tonight, but someow, I think he will not mind. Here it is:

Hello, Evan. I came to your blog because of the comment which you left on mine, which pleased me. If you would forgive me, if we were having a face to face conversation in a good place, like a Barns & Noble or moderately gentile local pub, here's what I might say to you about some of your thoughts.

You seem to be an optimistic person at your core, and I would encourage you to hold on to that, although it is not always easy. From your profile: "There is not much which I do not enjoy." Do not fear listlessness. I can imagine that Thoreau suffered from tremendous ennui on certain days around the pond. The way I look at it, the bad days are intended to make you appreciate the good ones all the more.

As to whether you should be concerned about the world around you, the people around you, or number one, I would suggest, "Yes!" I find that my concerns about the world and others in my life are fulfilling for me - in terms of knowledge and connecting. E.M. Forster, a wonderful writer ("A Room with A View," "A Passage to India," "Howard's End" wrote in "Aspects of the Novel" some wise words - "Only Connect." He meant that a novelist should connect with his readers, but I believe it is a good philosophy of life.

While we're on the subject of books, I sympathize with your frustration a bit. Not knowing your preferences, I can only in general suggest that you think of short stories as an alternative to novels. You will find tremendous variety, and they require less of a commitment. (It's hard to get bogged down in a short story.) Here's a suggestion: For the next three weeks, buy a copy of the New Yorker. It has an excellent (usually) fiction item every month, and their commentary on world affairs and people is first rate. (This week's issue has a remarkable story on Sean Penn.)

I can tell we have much in common, despite the difference in our ages and lifestyles. Like you, I am new to blogging and I am a bit aprehensive about it all, though I have kept a personal journal on and off for most of my life. I think recording one's thoughts is remarkably therapeutic, and I encourage you to endure (hence this long comment) on paper or in your blog.

Perhaps over time we will learn more about each other and maybe even become friends. Our interests are similar, though our tastes diverge. My music is opera, Dylan (et al), Celtic & Bluegrass; my radio NPR.

In any case, I welcome your comments, as I hope you do mine. At the age of 56, I am not trying to preach to you; I am simply telling you that I understand "Only Connect." :-)

1 comment:

An old throwback to the sixties said...

"Mike" will do for those who will have a drink together...

Your comment regarding "head in the clouds, feet on the ground" reminds me of so many times that I have heard people say that young people will eventually lose their idealism. Sometime it was directed at me. If that is so, then I am still young. Yes, I have held it at bay at times, as I imagine you must when working full time and getting an education, but I urge you to hang onto it, through such means as, perhaps, a blog!

FWIW, your writing is marvelous for someone of your age. Your "voice" is relaxed and natural, and has the ring of truth that is so often absent in those who try too hard. Let this blog be your "jar of thoughts." (See what I mean? A marvelous metaphor, and I'll bet you didn't even think you were writing a metaphor!)

As to achieving goals... Yes, I suppose you should have them, but... At one of way too many "Annual Performance Reviews" in my career, I frustrated my boss when I answered his question, "What are your goals?" that my short term goal was to make it to five o'clock and my long term goal was to string together a bunch of short term goals. (I stole it from a Dilbert cartoon.) He was not pleased, and though I said it in jest, there is a certain nugget of wisdom in it. When I hear of people who "go down hill" after retirement, I am mystified! What gould be better than having the time and presumably the resources to do what you want to do?!?!

But the "resources" thing is the catch. Your strident fiancee should not be taken lightly, nor should the thought of eternal ups and downs. I am now, finally, attempting to make a go of my own one-man consulting business, while hoping to get some work published when I can pay sufficient attention to it. It IS a struggle, but it is MY struggle, and that in itself is satisfying. But I had to work hard for 35 years after I was 21 to make it possible, and I probably should have stuck with it for anoter five or so. Circumstances gave me the opportunity a bit early, but, as ever, I am optimistic.

So there are dimensions to success. I guess my personal definition would be that success is being able to do what you want to do. But there's a prerequisite definition, which is "being able to afford to do what you want to do," and that is where your lady's advice about the extra inch is cogent.

Thirty-five years is a LONG time, especially from the viewpoint of a 21-year old. So today's nugget of wisdom (you make me blush, sort of) is to never let go of having fun and revising along the way your vision of my first definition of success, while making it possible by achieving the second.

I look forward to being kept up to date!