Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Very Sunny Day, in a Nice Sort of Way

It rained most of the day, but it felt sunny, for reasons I won't go into. Had a good productive morning, successfully filing my first ever NEA grant, a nice lunch at Lowe's with Sis #1, and afterward a lesson in non-profit tax filing. (I should have paid for lunch!)

I skeedaddled without hesitation at the appointed hour, looking forward to a bit of a nap and a leisurely literary sort of evening. But when I awoke, the sky was calling, so I did the kayak thing.

The rain had stopped and the water was calm and there was not a soul on the lake - ideal conditions. I looked behind at the near shore and saw that perfect mirror image of a calm evening.







Ahead, the sky was still ominous - deliciously so.







Over my right shoulder, a white army of cumulus soldiers was parading along the ridge.






And then I saw a strange and wonderful sight! An eight-oar scull, or sweep as I would soon learn, was gliding toward me like an arrow on the surface of the water. It was the real deal - the coxwain had a little amplified thing and she was trying her darnedest to keep the team in sync, with occasioanl success.



They glided to a stop not far off, so I went over to inquire where they were from. "Wilkes," one called back. Wilkes! How about that! "ME TOO," I called back. How perfect for today, because I got a nice surprise in the mail when I got home. The day my diploma arrives, two teams of oars and an Old Throwback chase all the Jet Skis and motor boats off the Lake. As you may expect, I felt a bond with these undergraduates. Go Colonels! I hoped they were as appreciative of the evening as I, but if not, they will be some day.




Waving good bye, I went on my way, admiring the sky and the water...



I rode down the Lake to the Old Homestead without looking back, because I had spied that little opening in the clouds and I knew the sun was about to.... well, see for yourself what greeted me when I turned around for the run home.






Yes, it was a nice sunny day, and I hope it's been contagious. Come back and see us real soon, but leave your Jet Ski home. Bring your scull, or sweep, or kayak.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are putting your new camera to good use. What kind did you get, may I ask?

By the way, I made myself chuckle this evening. When I first looked at your diploma, I thought it said you received a degree in Creative Accounting instead of Creative Writing. I was going to ask to come work for our firm!!! :o)

An old throwback to the sixties said...

FujiFilm E900. 9mpx & 4x optical zoom. Great controls. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Mike,

The only thing missing is your ice-skating story that you sent to me several years ago. Also....you should give Penn a litle credit !!!

Bill