Thursday, September 21, 2006

In Which the Old Throwback and Ranger Rob Go On an Expedition

For me, the last day of summer is the last day you can wake up and feel it's right to just pull on a bathing suit. The good thing is, although the probabilities diminish, you can never be quite sure it's the last day unti, say, the beginning of October. Last Saturday was such a day.

Profile for MikeBurnsideBut in the middle of the second cup of coffee, I got itchy and I called up Cousin Rob and said, "Let's go find a geocache." So we did. It took us two successive weekeds, but it was well worth it. One goes to look for these things becaue of what one finds along the way, and because of good company. Our tour will be mostly visual, because it's late and I am saving my words for a place where I have no pictures, so enjoy!


I must admit I took this one before we set out.

Our chosen route was along the Seven Tubs Natural Area.


And it was a nice sunny day.








Remember to look for the small miracles.





We are directly across from East Mountain Inn, and we have a ways to go. The sky looks a bit ominous. Press on.



No sign of rain in the west!



Rob insists the place is covered with fossils. I can think of two, but I'm not sure about these rocks. Looks like scrapes from ATVs to me, but I like Rob's theory a lot better.

Using ATVs along thee trails is like cheating, and they scare the travel bugs away.

The rain started gently, at first. Plenty of time to stop for pictures.



Five minutes later, we were huddled under a rock. Lightning from Armageddon. Wind from the mountain tops.


"Why did I let you talk me into this?"

Hail. I know it's hard to see, but trust me. It bounced under the rock, stinging our arms.



And finally, after nearly an hour, the rainbow.



We skidded down the hill as the crow flies.



The water had been nice and clear. Now it was mud-filled and angry.


A week later, refreshed, we came back to finish the job.

"Tell me again why we're doing this?"


The summit, graced with a flag that has seen better days, but still serves the purpose.





Not pretty, but part of nature nonetheless.

The water was once again nice and clear.

We left a band of small soldiers to hold the hill. We went and had a nice breakfast.

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

2 comments:

Michelle HD said...

Very nice, the tubs rule.

rangerrob said...

Well, the photography is stunning, but the narrative is slightly biased. As I recall, I talked Old Throwback into going (didn't take much arm twisting though) And, we wouldn't have gotten wet at all if he'd listened to me. He's a bit stubborn, you know...runs in the family. Anyway, it's a fine outing for anyone into hiking, fossil hunting (they ARE fossils, OT!), or killing time with a favorite cuzzin. Ranger Rob